Beef Medallions with Whisky Sauce
By Silver Fern Farms
- 1 pack Silver Fern Farms Beef Medallions
- 330 g dark brown sugar
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp smokey paprika
- ¼ tsp fresh grated nutmeg
- ¾ cup whisky
- ½ cup malt vinegar
- 2-3 anchovy fillets, minced
- 1 Tbsp chipotle sauce (from the canned chillies)
- 4 thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 2 star anise
Warm Chipotle Tomato Salad
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- 250 g cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 x 120 g can chipotle chillies in puree
- 2 green or red chillies, seeds removed, sliced thinly
- 2 cups fresh herbs, like basil, mint, coriander or parsley
Preheat the oven to 160°C. Remove the Silver Fern Farms Beef Medallions from the packaging and bring to room temperature at least 10-20 minutes before roasting.
Place the Silver Fern Farms Beef Medallions in a dish. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Whisk together sugar, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, nutmeg, whiskey, vinegar, anchovies, thyme and star anise in a bowl. Pour over the medallions, then cover and allow to marinate for at least half hour.
Heat a heavy based frying pan on medium-high heat. Cook the beef medallions for 4-5 minutes on each side. Allow to rest for 3-5 minutes before serving. Add the remaining marinade to the hot frying pan and heat through until reduced. Remove the star anise.
To serve, arrange the tomato slices and cherry tomatoes on a large serving platter. Roughly chop the chipotle chillies and sprinkle over the tomatoes with the fresh chilli slices. Top with thinly sliced beef medallions and drizzle over the sauce. Garnish with plenty of fresh herbs and lime wedges.
Sign up to our monthly newsletter for the latest recipes, news, competitions and giveaways.