Ora - Mates Keep Mates Safe
Our people come first.
Health and safety is at the forefront of everything we do. That’s why at Silver Fern Farms we are pushing towards our target of zero harm.
Achieving “zero harm” is one of Silver Fern Farms’ most important goals.
Our health and safety programme is called ‘Ora’, which means life, health, vitality, and wellbeing in Te Reo Maori, and we believe that is what is most important for all of us at Silver Fern Farms.
We have an Ora Runanga (governance council) that represents our people from across the business. This is made up of board members, plant staff, health & safety staff, office staff, and health and safety representatives.
We strive to make sure we have safe machinery in our processing plants, to ensure our staff use the right protective equipment so they can work safely, and to make sure all risks are known about and reduced.
More than this, we are creating a culture where people look after themselves, and each other.
Achieving “zero harm” is one of Silver Fern Farms’ most important goals and we are making good progress towards this goal and we are determined to reach it as a team.
To achieve our goal of zero harm, we have a set of Ora values:
- Safety first – in all we do, 24/7
- We believe all injuries are preventable
- Safe behaviours build safety culture
- Going beyond compliance – so we are best in class
- Health and safety is everyone’s responsibility and everyone’s accountability
- Evaluation and learning is critical for constant improvement
- We believe in zero tolerance of hazards